What Is It?
Teen intervene is a tested, time-efficient, evidence-based program for teenagers suspected of experiencing mild or moderate problems associated with alcohol or other drug use. Teen Intervene can include their parents or guardians.
- Stages of Change Model
- Motivational Interviewing
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
Who Is It For?
- Youth- ages 12-21
- Girls or Boys
- Outpatient/ School setting
- Excellent as a disciplinary and guidance component for alcohol and drug policy violators.
Goals of the Program
- Harm reduction
- A more flexible approach toward goal attainment
- Focuses on clients' reasons for using to determine willingness to change and treatment goals.
- Treatment is focused on adolescents' specific needs.
- 2-3 one-hour sessions
- Administered in a school setting
- Variety of techniques are integrated to establish behavior change goals with the adolescent
- Engagement of the adolescent in discussion of the pros and cons of drug use
- Voluntary final session to include the family and address the need for the parent to demonstrate healthy attitudes and behaviors related to substance use.